Image

Matthew McConaughey on Keeping Common Sense


Tuesday Quotes are short explorations of music, life, and the daily endeavor of practicing classical guitar. Find more here. Enjoy!


“Common sense is like money and health. Once you’ve got it, you got to work to keep it.”

Matthew McConaughey

In almost every field there is a potential for what some have called “expert error.” This is where an expert gets lazy and begins to skip steps in the process. Then preventable mistakes happen.

By the time we become expert at something, we have mastered many of the basic elements. We have ingrained the movements through repetition and study.

The danger comes when we assume that we no longer need to consider the basics. We abandon the fundamentals and focus only on the more complex elements.

When we do, we degrade the foundation on which our playing is built. We cut corners. We take shortcuts.

To continue to improve, to always get better, we must mind the core ingredients of our craft. The more we revisit and refine the basics, the better we play. Without limit.

Many lifelong musicians realize this. In their older years many professional musicians enjoy practicing slow scales. They choose easier music. And not because they can’t play harder pieces, but because they wish to focus on the fine details of the basics. They can work on nuance without the fuss of excess complexity.

“Common sense” in music is a realization of the basics. It’s knowing the right process or formula for each task or dilemma. It’s knowing what works for us in reality (not just in theory).

And as we progress from beginner to intermediate and above we seek this knowledge. We gain this experience.

But at some point, we need to seek fewer new techniques and processes. We instead do best by practicing and refining the ones we already know work.

Someone said, “simplicity is the soul of elegance.” The basics, played well, will solve most of our problems. They will take us 99% of the way to an excellent performance. The remaining 1% we gain through inspiration, emotion, and perhaps a little magic.








Allen Mathews

Hi, I’m Allen Mathews. 


I started as a folk guitarist, then fell in love with classical guitar in my 20’s. Despite a lot of practice and schooling, I still couldn’t get my music to flow well. I struggled with excess tension. My music sounded forced. And my hands and body were often sore. I got frustrated, and couldn’t see the way forward. Then, over the next decade, I studied with two stellar teachers – one focused on the technical, and one on the musical (he was a concert pianist). In time, I came to discover a new set of formulas and movements. These brought new life and vitality to my practice. Now I help guitarists find more comfort and flow in their music, so they play more beautifully. Click here for a sample formula.




I am truly enjoying the growth and challenge that the Woodshed material provides.  I look forward to working hard and learning much in the years ahead.  Thanks for all the effort and care that you have taken in providing these lessons and resources!


-Mark Whitsett

Since a year ago with my subscription to CGS it has been for me a pleasurable adventure and a discovery of all the facets of the classical guitar.
Your dedication and enthusiasm, as well as your talent, in the tuition is quite contagious (well, lets hope also for your talent) and has made it fun and useful in my progression. Also the weekly tip that you mail us and the Facebook group is excellent.


-Michel Donnet



Become a Member and Play More, Beautifully!

“The basics are the basics, and you can’t beat the basics.”
Charles Poliquin

Join the program that takes you from the beginning fundamentals to advanced mastery, so you…1

  • Move your hands safely and fluidly
  • Enjoy fulfilling practices and meaningful work
  • Play beautifully with expression and flow

Click the button to take a step towards an
organized, effective guitar practice. >>>




Featured Courses


$39
jesu bach classical guitar

Bach, J.S. – Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring

One of the best loved of all classical pieces.

See more...

$39
read music guitar high positions notes

Play and Read Music in the Higher Positions

Learn to read music and identify notes on the entire neck.

See more...

$39
how to play segovia scales

Better Technique, with “Segovia’s Favorite Scales”

Detailed explorations of this popular technical tool.

See more...

« » page 1 / 2