Spanish Guitar Songs for Guitar – Free Sheet Music and TABs
This page is dedicated to Spanish Guitar. These are guitar songs written in the Spanish style.
Scroll down for PDFs of Spanish Guitar TABs and notation.
Also browse the full library of classical guitar sheet music and classical guitar TABs.
What is “Spanish Guitar”?
The term “Spanish guitar” is used mainly in two ways. First, it refers to the instrument. This is also known as a classical guitar. The classical or Spanish guitar is an acoustic instrument made of wood. And it has guitar strings made of nylon. Traditionally, these strings were made of gut (animal intestine). These are the precursors to today’s steel-string acoustic guitar and electric guitar.
The classical (Spanish) guitar uses chords in songs to create layers of melody and harmony. It was derived from the Spanish vihuela and gittern (historic instruments) back in the 1400-1500’s. Through the following centuries, it morphed into the Baroque guitar. And eventually, it became the classical or Spanish guitar we find so many people playing today.
Spanish Guitar Music
“Spanish guitar” also refers to a style of music from Spain. These songs (pieces) are written to play the classical guitar. And it often stems from the Flamenco guitar-playing tradition. Flamenco guitar uses Spanish guitar scales (and Spanish guitar chords and strumming.) to create a characteristic sound. We often instantly recognize this when we hear it played.
Many composers throughout Western Europe were influenced by Spanish guitar. For example, composers such as Scarlatti and Ravel have composed in the Spanish style. The Spanish sound has captured the hearts and creativity of players and listeners alike. And it has also been very influential on Latin music from the Americas (which Spain colonized). This is perhaps best heard in Argentinian tango.
For centuries throughout Europe, the term “Spanish” was used to refer to most anything sensual or evocative. This included (along with brothels and suggestive dances) guitar. So the phrase “Spanish guitar” is sometimes used in relationship to music that is not from Spain. But it is usually played on the nylon-string guitar.
Spanish Guitar Songs – in Notation and TABs
Below you’ll find free PDFs of Spanish guitar songs. These Spanish guitar TABs can be played on any guitar, but sound best and most “Spanish” on nylon-stringed guitar. Please print, play and share these freely. If you are a teacher, you are free to use them privately with your students. Where appropriate, please attribute the arrangements to ClassicalGuitarShed.com, or Allen Mathews, and link to https://classicalguitarshed.com/. Enjoy playing these!
- Albeniz, Isaac – Granada
- Anonymous – Mi Favorita
- Anonymous – Spanish Romance
- Anonymous – Spanish Romance with Tremolo
- Broca, Jose – Una Flor
- de Falla, Manuel – Cancion del Fuego Fatuo
- de Falla, Manuel – Dance of the Corregidor
- de Falla, Manuel – Danza del Molinero
- de Falla, Manuel – Romance del Pescador
- Ferrer, Jose – Ejercicio
- Follk Song, Spanish – Llobet, Miguel – El Noi de la Mare
- Giuliani, Mauro – Op. 45 Variations on the Folia of Spain
- Granados, Enrique – Dedicatoria
- Lecuona, Ernesto – Malagueña
- Llobet, Miguel – Canco de Lladre
- Llobet, Miguel – El Testament d’Amelia
- Milan, Luis – Pavana No. 1
- Milan, Luis – Pavana No. 2
- Milan, Luis – Pavane No. 3
- Mudarra, Alonso – Fantasia
- Narvaez, Luis de – Guardame las Vacas
- Sanz, Gaspar – Canarios
- Sanz, Gaspar – Espanoleta
- Sanz, Gaspar – Espanoleta (Advanced)
- Sanz, Gaspar – Folias
- Sanz, Gaspar – Gallarda y Villano
- Sanz, Gaspar – Passacalle
- Sanz, Gaspar – Sesquialtera
- Sor, Fernando – Op. 14 Grand Solo
- Sor, Fernando – Op. 15(a) Folia Menuet
- Sor, Fernando – Op. 15(a) Folia Theme and Variations
- Sor, Fernando – Op. 9 Variations on a Theme by Mozart
- Spanish Guitar Songs for Guitar – Free Sheet Music and TABs
- Tarrega, Francisco – Adelita
- Tarrega, Francisco – Capricho Arabe
- Tarrega, Francisco – Lagrima
- Tarrega, Francisco – Mazurka in G
- Tarrega, Francisco – Prelude No. 26
- Yradier, Sebastian – La Paloma
Popular Spanish Songs to Play
Spanish Romance – Anonymous
Spanish Romance – composer unknown
One of the most famous songs for guitar. Much of the piece is fairly easy to play. But you will find a barre chord combined with a rather wicked little-finger stretch. Spanish Romance uses the whole guitar neck, but if with the Spanish Romance TABs, you can find the notes easily.
Malaguena – Ernesto Lecuona
Malaguena – by Ernesto Lecuona
A very fun and popular song to play. The first and third section are easy, and are great for learning common Spanish guitar techniques.
Lagrima – Francisco Tarrega
Lagrima – by Francisco Tarrega
One of the best examples of Spanish classical guitar. A slow ballad that’s extremely popular with guitarists.
Hi, I’m Allen Mathews.
I started as a folk guitarist, then fell in love with classical guitar in my 20’s. Despite a lot of practice and schooling, I still couldn’t get my music to flow well. I struggled with excess tension. My music sounded forced. And my hands and body were often sore. I got frustrated, and couldn’t see the way forward. Then, over the next decade, I studied with two stellar teachers – one focused on the technical, and one on the musical (he was a concert pianist). In time, I came to discover a new set of formulas and movements. These brought new life and vitality to my practice. Now I help guitarists find more comfort and flow in their music, so they play more beautifully. Click here for a sample formula.
Click the button to take a step towards an
organized, effective guitar practice. >>>