Add to Favorites
This course is your guide to the upper positions, pointing out landmarks, establishing new home bases, and teaching you the skills to survive and thrive in this formerly threatening territory.
In This Course, You’ll Discover:
- How to find your way above the 5th fret
- How to name notes all over the guitar
- How to master upper positions
- How to shift smoothly and quickly
- How to read high notes more easily
- How to be comfortable up high
- How to find the familiar in new places
With This Course, You’ll Be Able To:
- Make music on your entire instrument
- Feel at home all over the neck
- Memorize new landmarks
- Name any note quickly and easily
- Understand how the guitar works
- Find your way in any key
- Shift gracefully like a skater on ice
Includes PDF Materials
Course Level: EARLY INTERMEDIATE
This course is at the EARLY INTERMEDIATE level. This means that most of the notes will be in the lower positions, with occasional notes moving into higher positions (usually just on the 1st string). The rhythms are mostly simple. Chords are mostly common, open-position. TABs are included for an alternative to music notation. For more advanced players, pieces in this level can be used as a study to improve learning, memorization and phrasing techniques.
About CGS Courses
The courses you’ll find here on Classical Guitar Shed are among the most in-depth, detailed and high-quality classical guitar courses available anywhere. Each course explores a single guitar skill or piece of music. And each course features high-quality HD video with multiple camera angles, as well as one-of-a-kind custom learning materials. This means you always know exactly what’s going on.
Repertoire and skills are divided into small sections or concepts, and worked through one at a time. You’ll get suggestions on varied subjects, which may include:
- How to count and play any tricky rhythms
- How to polish difficult transitions
- How to phrase the music, when to swell or fade
- How to apply advanced phrasing techniques to make the music more beautiful
- How to practice so you learn the piece most quickly
- How to memorize the music more easily
- How to troubleshoot hard spots
- How to avoid common traps that slow players down
- How to make small changes that make big differences
- How to understand the composer’s intentions
- How to choose the right tone quality for each part
- How to make the melody sing
- How to make the rhythm more lively
- How to practice to increase your speed and precision
- How to maintain the piece after you learn it
- among others
When you purchase a CGS Course, you get lifetime access to all videos and materials. You also get full support and your questions get answered via on-page comment or email.
Note: Videos stream only and are not available for download.
Members of The Woodshed Program get full access to all Courses and Study Guides, as well as the complete program, for the life of their membership.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee, Plus…
I want you to be completely happy with your new course. If you don’t feel it’s the best choice for you, email me within 30 days and request an immediate 100% refund.
But a refund isn’t enough. In addition, you can also choose ANY premium course or Study Guide to keep, just for your time. (You can even choose a more expensive course than the one you purchased.)
In the worst case, you’ll learn some new skills without spending a penny. In the best, you’ll have a fun new adventure exploring music and guitar. Either way, you have nothing to lose and much to gain!
Hi, I’m Allen Mathews.
I started as a folk guitarist, then fell in love with classical guitar in my 20’s. Despite a lot of practice and schooling, I still couldn’t get my music to flow well. I struggled with excess tension. My music sounded forced. And my hands and body were often sore. I got frustrated, and couldn’t see the way forward. Then, over the next decade, I studied with two stellar teachers – one focused on the technical, and one on the musical (he was a concert pianist). In time, I came to discover a new set of formulas and movements. These brought new life and vitality to my practice. Now I help guitarists find more comfort and flow in their music, so they play more beautifully. Click here for a sample formula.