Learning classical guitar technique, we have the form, positions and movements. And to practice these well, we also need to understand the “what and why” behind our work.
Often, when we understand the larger goals and desired results, our present work makes better sense. When it does, we’re more likely to take the time and attention to practice well, with focus and awareness.
Classical guitar technique is chiefly defined by the right-hand movements. The right-hand technique is what sets classical guitar apart from other styles. On the other hand (forgive the pun), the left hand in classical guitar study is not so different than other styles, if more intentional.
- The Basics of Classical Guitar Technique – These are a few guidelines you can follow to make sure everything is just so.
- Classical Guitar Technique Right Hand Fundamentals – This is the big-picture “game plan” of practicing right hand technique on classical guitar, as described on this site.
- A Guide to Fine Details – Here are questions and processes you can use to find the moments of opportunity in your music. With these moments, you can add expressive and beautiful touches.
At high levels, technique and phrasing (expressive playing) combine, and they become inseparable. After all, anything expressive we attempt must be performed by the hands. Still think of technique as the physical movements we use, and optimize for those.
All Technique Concepts
- How to Fall in Love with Classical Guitar Technique Practice
- Do I Really Have to Use Consistent Fingerings in Classical Guitar Pieces?
- Why You Should Avoid Rest Strokes on Classical Guitar (for now)
- A Guide to the Fine Details: How to Mine Your Music for Gold
- 6 Ways to Avoid Guitar Finger Pain
- Advancing Your Classical Guitar Technique (with Questions Answered)
- Classical Guitar Technique Right Hand Fundamentals
- Adding Variation to Arpeggio Practice on the Classical Guitar
- Keeping Arpeggios Fun on Classical Guitar
- How to Learn Classical Guitar – A Free Course on Right Hand Technique
- The Basics of Classical Guitar Technique
- 5 Top Classical Guitar Technique Mistakes
- Be a better classical guitarist by harnessing the power of simplicity
- Backing Up to Go Forward