To master the classical guitar, it helps to memorize music. This gives myriad benefits, including the ability to focus on things other than the notes. But how do we memorize music?
There are many methods to memorizing music and developing musical memory. Here are few places to start:
- How to Learn Classical Guitar Pieces – Memory begins with effective learning. Use this formula to learn new music, and you’ll be halfway there. Tip: test your memory after each step.
- How (and Why) to Memorize Guitar Music – This lesson will offer technique you can use in practice to actively memorize your music.
- How to Increase Recall – This is a simple practice tip that will help you memorize music much more quickly. Many people miss this, and struggle more with memory than necessary.
- How to Test Your Musical Memory – This is a fun list of 50 ways to test musical memory. If you think you have something memorized, give it a go!
All Articles on Memory and Memorizing Music:
- The Four-Measure Musical Formula for Practice, Phrasing and Memory
- The 85% Rule: How to Play Pieces Perfectly Polished at Full Speed
- The Play-Prepare Double-Movement: The Two Actions of Every Note
- Introduction to Roman Numeral Analysis (Harmonic Analysis)
- How to Never Forget Another Piece of Music
- Memory Tip: How to Memorize and Recall Classical Guitar Pieces More Quickly
- Balance Ratios: A Way to Quantify Musical Expression and Phrasing
- 42 Questions to Blow (open) Your Musical Mind
- How to Memorize Classical Guitar Music
- Exaggeration: A Practice Tool to Bring Your Playing To the Next Level
- Practical Musical Analysis: First Steps in Learning New Music
- Do I Really Have to Use Consistent Fingerings in Classical Guitar Pieces?
- Should Classical Guitar Feel “Natural”?
- Classical Guitar Visualization: What, Why and How
- A Guide to the Fine Details: How to Mine Your Music for Gold
- How (and Why) to Memorize Music on Classical Guitar
- How to Use Slow Practice For Classical Guitar
- Short on Time? Simple Tricks to Learn Music Fast
- How to Shadow Practice on Guitar
- How to Maintain Classical Guitar Repertoire
- Learn Classical Guitar Pieces Faster with this Secret Code
- 50 Ways To Test Your Musical Memory