On guitar, finger independence is linked to strength and agility. All include elements of control, precision and accuracy.
For the left hand, we can use special exercises to improve finger independence. For the right hand, our basic arpeggio study should develop plenty of independence (though extra is needed for chord balance).
If you only do one exercise to develop better finger independence, let it be slurs.
- The Right-Hand Little Finger: What About the Pinky?
- Classical Guitar Technique Off-Guitar Exercises for Travel, Strength, and Stretch
- Left-Hand Finger Independence and Stretch, with Odair’s Favorite Drill
- Keep the Left Hand Fingers Low for More Guitar Speed and Fluidity
- Sergio Assad’s Left Hand Independence Workout
- How to Develop Left Hand Finger Independence
- How to Master Chord Balance on Classical Guitar
- Slurs: The Classical Guitar Equivalent to 6-Pack Abs