On guitar, finger independence is linked to strength and agility. All include elements of control, precision and accuracy.
For the left hand, we can use special exercises to improve finger independence. For the right hand, our basic arpeggio study should develop plenty of independence (though extra is needed for chord balance).
If you only do one exercise to develop better finger independence, let it be slurs.
- Classical Guitar Technique Off-Guitar Exercises for Travel, Strength, and Stretch
- How to Develop Left Hand Finger Independence
- How to Master Chord Balance on Classical Guitar
- Keep the Left Hand Fingers Low for More Guitar Speed and Fluidity
- Left-Hand Finger Independence and Stretch, with Odair’s Favorite Drill
- Sergio Assad’s Left Hand Independence Workout
- Slurs: The Classical Guitar Equivalent to 6-Pack Abs
- The Left Hand Little Finger – Common Problems and Solutions
- The Right-Hand Little Finger: What About the Pinky?