Beyond moving our fingers, classical guitar is a mental game. This is true for all instruments. We don’t just play the guitar – we play ourselves. In any moment, our thoughts and attention can improve or degrade our experience.
So one of the greatest challenges as a musician is to train our minds. Each element of practice has its details. From learning new pieces, to practicing scales, to performing for others, we call on our awareness and focus to make things work.
Training our minds is a lifelong challenge. It’s something that we never “finish”. Instead, we learn tactics and habits we can use to meet the challenges at hand.
Below is a big list of articles on various elements of mindset and “inner game”. Enjoy!
- Progress vs. Success in Classical Guitar Practice
- Focus More in Practice, With the “Brain Dump” Technique
- 11 Classical Guitar Lessons for Beginners (+3 Pitfalls to Avoid)
- Better Listening for Musicians – What to Listen For in Practice
- Perfectionism vs. Excellence in Guitar Practice
- 5 Common Misbeliefs that Hold Guitarists Back
- The Philosophy of Kaizen in Classical Guitar Practice
- Frustrated with Guitar? How to Recalibrate and Move Forward
- Creativity in Classical Guitar Practice
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid in Classical Guitar Practice
- Curiosity: The Single Most Important Practice Skill
- 42 Questions to Blow (open) Your Musical Mind
- Practice Mindsets that Improve Your Performances
- How to Fall in Love with Classical Guitar Technique Practice
- How to Master Motivation in Your Classical Guitar Practice
- The Amazing Power of 1% Improvements
- How to Play Classical Guitar With No Mistakes, Flawlessly
- How to Enjoy Constant Improvement on Classical Guitar
- Classical Guitar Visualization: What, Why and How
- Guitar Anchors: Turn Your Guitar into a “Feel-Good Button”!
- Beginner Progress: What to Look for in Early Guitar Success
- Successful Practice Tip: End On a High Note!
- Inner Game of Practice: Release Guilt and Accept Reality
- A Guide to the Fine Details: How to Mine Your Music for Gold
- 6 Tips for When You Get Tired of a Tune
- Short on Time? Simple Tricks to Learn Music Fast
- How to Make Your Guitar Playing Easy
- 3 Secrets to Getting in “The Zone”: Flow States in Practice
- Have a Positive Agenda in Your Guitar Practice
- Be a better classical guitarist by harnessing the power of simplicity
- But I don’t FEEL Like Practicing Guitar Today!
- Backing Up to Go Forward